When Reads the Heart with Gail Kittleson


Today I am excited to welcome author Gail Kittleson to the blog. Today she'll be sharing her experience and what Christian Fiction meant to one of her readers.



On this day after Thanksgiving, I’m so grateful to be able to use my gifts—so many people never find that niche where they feel useful and satisfied. This didn’t occur easily for me, or quickly. Nope, it took decades to develop the confidence to believe I had something to offer and fully enter into my vocation.
Writing to readers’ hearts means delving into the doubts and hurts and foibles that beset us all. I used to lament having wasted so much time commencing my writing, but having lived through some of those experiences might just be the best qualification for writing women’s fiction.
Literature that reaches the heart avoids pat answers and easy fixes. One of my readers pointed that out to me. At the outset, when we met at an event geared toward artsy folks, she looked at my books but said, “You know, I normally shy away from Christian fiction.” 


We talked longer, and she eventually did purchase the first book in my Women of the Heartland series...note the word heart in there! After she’d finished the novel, she contacted me with words to warm any author’s heart.
“I loved this story. Thank you for not giving Addie any easy ways out of her situation. She had to struggle like everybody else does in real life.”
Yes. I much prefer promoting my work under the label Women’s Historical Fiction, because that’s what it is—written for female readers living in the real word. True to the historical record, as best I can write it. And this series, about the contributions of regular everyday women to the World War II effort, contains some pretty daunting situations.
On the Midwestern home front, a heroine fights her own battles against a verbally abusive husband who takes out his rage on her. In London, where the Luftwaffe continually makes life miserable, and in Southern France, aiding the Resistance as Waffen S.S. tanks sweep north toward Normandy to fight the Allies.
Danger, intrigue, bold and necessary deception, along with a multitude of ponderings and doubts—where is the Almighty in all of this? Yet each character finds solace and hope...and even gratitude.
Hopefully readers, too, discover new possibilities in the fearsome personal pitfalls of this life. Hopefully, hearts are touched and encouraged by my very real-to-life characters. 

*****
When Gail’s not steeped in World War II research, drafting scenes, or deep in an edit, she does a limited amount of editing for other authors. She also facilitates writing and creativity workshops, both in Iowa and Arizona, where she and her husband spend part of the winter in the amazing Ponderosa pine forest under the Mogollon Rim. Favorites: walking, reading, meeting new people, hearing from readers who fall in love with her characters.

Her newest book, A Purpose True releases December 7th.


Comments

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me, Amber. Loved thinking through your WHEN READS THE HEART theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for being my guest and sharing your story, Gail!

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed her interview. Love her books.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Stephanie Landsem With #giveaway!

Cave of the Winds: Historical Colorado Cave & Giveaway! Part 1

When Reads the Heart with Amanda Cabot